A microcontroller unit (MCU) is a compact, self-contained computer that comprises a single integrated circuit, or a microchip. Internet Of Things (IoT) Microcontrollers are designed to perform specific functions and can be integrated with most other devices ranging from industrial equipment, warehouse inventory items, and wearables devices, to home appliances, and others.
IoT Microcontrollers are used in a wide array of systems and devices. Devices often utilize multiple microcontrollers integrated within them to handle their respective tasks. According to Ken Research analysis, the IoT Microcontroller Market was valued at US$ 2 bn in 2017. It is estimated to reach a market size of ~US$ 3 bn by 2022 and is projected to reach ~US$ 6 bn by 2028. It is expected to record a CAGR of ~12% during the forecast period, due to the increasing number of IoT connections among consumer and enterprise sectors and the need for low-power, high-performance, and energy-efficient connected products.
Development of internet connectivity and IT infrastructure in technologically developing economies and microcontroller unit miniaturization is expected to lead to the growth of the IoT Microcontroller Market during the forecast period.
- The increasing demand for low-cost, smart wireless sensor networks and the development of IT infrastructure in technologically developing countries are anticipated to have a major impact on market growth. Further, the growing number of IoT connections and increasing demand for low-power, energy-efficient connected products are other salient factors boosting its demand and growth.
- Moreover, the growing popularity of IoT is expected to provide a significant boost to the market in the near future. In the current scenario, IoT has witnessed a wide range of applications including industrial automation, smart appliances, smart grids, and smart cities, which is anticipated to fuel the market growth significantly during the forecast period. In addition, the rising popularity of fitness apps and increasing awareness about physical fitness in emerging countries such as; India, China, and Indonesia are likely to drive the adoption of wearable technology, thereby expanding the IoT market size during the forecast period.
Manufacturers’ failure in establishing advanced IoT microcontrollers and the high-power consumption and energy efficiency of IoT devices creates challenges for the growth of the IoT Microcontroller Market.
- The manufacturers of IoT microcontrollers engage in extensive research and innovation to develop advanced systems. However, the substantial research and innovation costs associated with the IoT microcontroller development include its integration with the changing structural landscape of IoT devices.
- The IoT market is flourishing, and as a result, the majority of enterprises are approaching the IoT microcontroller market. However, the industry faces significant challenges in profitability and establishing new technology in the market. In addition, a considerable number of startups in the sector are projected to enter the market, increasing the competition.
Request For Sample Report @ https://www.kenresearch.com/sample-report.php?Frmdetails=NTk2MDI4
COVID-19 facilitated growth in electronic equipment due to remote work. The COVID-19 pandemic witnessed a boost in remote working electronic equipment, which shifted the focus of semiconductor manufacturing units to produce more equipment for the same.
This turned the focus from other vital industries to count on microcontrollers and semiconductor chips, like automotive and industrial automation. However, the disruption in the supply chain and shortage of semiconductor chips posed challenges. The IoT industry is changing rapidly the supply chain allocation to revive the companies affected by COVID-19.
Key Trends by Market Segment
By Product: 32-bits segment dominated the IoT Microcontroller by product segment in 2021 and is also expected to maintain its dominance during the forecast period.
- 32-bits microcontrollers are capable of handling arithmetic operations of 32-bit values and thus it is faster as compared to other microcontrollers such as 8-bits and 16-bits. Moreover, a 32-bit microcontroller takes fewer instruction cycles to execute a function due to its wider data bus. Thus, companies have been persistent, launching 32-bit microcontrollers owing to the rising IoT requirements.
- 32-bit microcontrollers process multiple devices simultaneously which is efficient and is extensively used in factory automation, grid infrastructure, and building automation applications.
By Application: Smart Homes segment accounted for the majority share of the Global IoT Microcontroller Market by application in 2021 and is also expected to showcase the highest growth rate during the forecast period (2022-2028).
- The tech-enabled applications are increasing and provide numerous opportunities for businesses, and IoT for smart homes. The integration of IoT in smart homes has enabled easy control and monitoring, enhanced security, efficiency, cost and energy saving, and comfortable living.
- The IoT extensively improves the capability to control and cover all of the home’s processes. Apart from lowering bills, energy savings help to reduce the negative impact on the environment. Thus, the smart homes application has the utmost use of IoT technology, creating a high demand for IoT microcontrollers.
By End-user: The automotive segment held the largest market share in Global IoT Microcontroller Market in 2021.
- The introduction of new technologies in the automotive industry has encouraged the involvement of semiconductors and microcontrollers. According to IEEE Explore, an average of more than 50 microcontroller units (MCUs) are used in vehicles. The addition of connected tech, AI, self-driving, and other IoT services has created enormous demand for the deployment of MCUs.
- Autonomous vehicles and sensor-driven safety features like automatic brakes, collision avoidance systems, and others, are the factors driving the future of automobiles, incorporating MCUs. The MCUs covering sensors related to each function offer original computing followed by temporary data storage and transfer to the master controlling units or remote servers.
By Geography: The Asia Pacific accounted for the largest share among all regions within the total Global IoT Microcontroller Market, in 2021.
- Asia Pacific region has been a significant hub for semiconductor manufacturing and semiconductor-based devices. The region is home to some of the most prominent electronics devices and automotive manufacturing companies. Hence, the area contributes significantly through various applications of IoT microcontrollers such as automotive, industrial automation, healthcare IT, consumer electronics, robotics, and other end-user industries.
- Asia Pacific hosts contract-based semiconductor manufacturers like Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC). TSMC manufactures the microcontrollers sold by significant market players, like NXP Semiconductors, Texas Instruments, and STMicroelectronics, among others. Other regional manufacturers comprise Foxconn, MediaTek, Qualcomm, and others, contribute significantly to the region’s growth.
Request For Sample Report @ https://www.kenresearch.com/sample-report.php?Frmdetails=NTk2MDI4
The Global IoT Microcontroller Market is highly competitive with ~200 players which include globally diversified players, regional players as well as a large number of country-niche players each with their niche in IoT technologies. The IoT Microcontroller market’s growth is heavily reliant on IoT-based applications. Numerous IoT microcontroller companies, including Broadcom, Holtek Semiconductor Inc., Infineon Technologies, and Microchip Technology Inc. are extensively investing in research and development to develop new technologies in IoT.
Country-niche players constitute ~50% of the competitors while regional players constitute ~35%. Some of the major players in the market include Broadcom, Holtek Semiconductor Inc., Infineon Technologies, Microchip Technology Inc., Nuvoton Technology Corporation, NXP Semiconductors, STMicroelectronics, Renesas Electronics Corporation, Silicon Laboratories, Texas Instruments Incorporated among others.
Key Topics Covered in the Report:-
Snapshot of Global IoT Microcontroller Market
Industry Value Chain and Ecosystem Analysis
Market size and Segmentation of the Global IoT Microcontroller Market
Historic Growth of the Overall Global IoT Microcontroller Market and Segments
Competition Scenario of the Market and Key Developments of Competitors
Porter’s 5 Forces Analysis of the Global IoT Microcontroller Industry
Overview, Product Offerings, and SWOT Analysis of Key Competitors
COVID-19 Impact on the Overall Global IoT Microcontroller Market
Future Market Forecast and Growth Rates of the Total Global IoT Microcontroller Market and by Segments
Market Size of Application / End User Segments with Historical CAGR and Future Forecasts
Analysis of the IoT Microcontroller Market
Major Production / Consumption Hubs in the Major within Each Region
Major Production/Supply and Consumption/Demand Hubs within Each Major Region
Major Country-wise Historic and Future Market Growth Rates of the Total Market and Segments
Overview of Notable Emerging Competitor Companies within Each Region
Major Players Mentioned in the Report:-
Holtek Semiconductor Inc.
Microchip Technology Inc.
Nuvoton Technology Corporation
Renesas Electronics Corporation
Texas Instruments Incorporated
Emerging Companies Mentioned in the Report
Green Waves Technologies
Key Target Audience – Organizations and Entities Who Can Benefit by Subscribing This Report
Semiconductor Chip Manufacturers
Raw Material Suppliers for Microcontrollers
Microcontrollers R&D Concept & Design Companies
Semiconductor Packaging Companies
Semiconductors Test & Inspection Companies
Environmental Regulations Authorities
Semiconductor Alliances and Associations
Software Developers for Microcontrollers
Industrial and Home Automation Device Companies
Market Research & Consulting Organizations
Equipment Manufacturers & OEMs for Electronics & Semiconductor Industry
Investors Related to Semiconductor Industry
Investors Related to IoT and IT Industry
Electronics Procurement Enterprises
Government Ministries and Departments of Electronics
Electronics Industry Regulatory Authorities
Time Period Captured in the Report:-
Historical Period: 2017-2021
Forecast Period: 2022E-2028F
For more insights on the market intelligence, refer to the link below:-