The Global Automotive Glass Market – which grew from approximately US$ 15 billion in 2017 to approximately US$ 20 billion in 2022 – is forecasted to grow further into approximately US$ 30 billion opportunity by 2028, owing to the increasing demand for electric, hybrid, and luxury vehicles.
For more information, request a free sample
Key Growth Drivers
- The automotive industry is surging worldwide as manufacturers are continuously upgrading vehicles as per customer demand, and governments’ active involvement to speed up the production of automobiles. Growing demand for smart glass is also one of the key factors driving this market. Smart glass such as HUD can display the fuel level, speed, temperature, and other warnings. According to the Indian Brand Equity Foundation (IBEF), a semi-government trust formulated by the department of commerce mentioned that India’s passenger car market was valued at US$ 32.70 billion in 2021, and it is expected to reach a value of US$ 54.84 billion by 2027. The increasing production of vehicles is likely to boost the demand for the automotive glass market.
- High initial cost to set up a glass manufacturing plant, along with further repair and maintenance costs, is a restraining factor for the automotive glass market. Major players operating in this segment such as Fuyao Glass, Saint-Gobain, and others, preferred to expand their existing plant rather than invest in a newer facility. These strategies restrict players to expand their geographical presence.
- COVID-19 has decelerated the growth of the automotive glass market. This is because of the temporary shutdown of assembly lines, disruption of the supply chain, restriction on manufacturing and construction activities, and decline in the sale of automobiles. But as the market is recovering and restrictions are easing down, it is estimated that the automotive glass market will recover within the forecasted period.
Key Trends by Market Segment:
By Glass Type: Tempered glass segment held the largest market share of the Global Automotive Glass Market in 2021, owing to the lower cost and better durability than other glasses.
- Tempered glass is a type of glass manufactured through heat or chemicals to provide safety. In the event the glass breaks, it does not shatter into big pieces but rather into thousand pieces that do not have a sharp edge.
- Tempered glass is most commonly used because of its lower cost than laminated glass. It is used in the backlite, windshield, and sideline door.
Visit this Link Request for custom report
By Vehicle Type: The passenger car segment accounted for the largest market share in 2021, due to a shift in the trend of consumer behavior and the growing middle-class population.
Passenger cars refer to vehicles designed and constructed for carrying individuals. Comprising of not more than eight seats inclusive of the driver’s seat, and having a maximum mass not exceeding 3.5 tonnes. There are various kinds of passenger cars including sports, luxury, family-oriented, small cars, and sports utility vehicles (SUVs). Growing environmental concerns led to low-emission and lightweight vehicles on the road, which is also a driving factor for the passenger car segment.
To more about industry trends, Request a free Expert call
By Application: The windscreen segment held the largest market in 2021, owing to the importance of windscreens in a vehicle structure along with safety concerns.
- Windscreen of a vehicle is the glass window at the front that the driver looks at. The windscreen provides clear vision and acts as a protective shield. The windshield protects all passengers from any external injuries such as accidents or any mishap. Growing demand for smart windscreens is also boosting the growth of this segment.
By End-Use: The OEM segment held the largest market in 2021, because, the majority of the auto glasses are utilized in the production of vehicles.
- OEM generally supplies manufactured products to cater to the demand from the end product manufacturer. OEM products are generally used as a component in the final product of another company.
By Geography: The Asia Pacific accounted for the largest market share within the Global Automotive Glass Market in 2021, owing to rising investment in the auto industry, and growing demand for passenger cars.
- Toyota, Volkswagen, Honda, Geely, and other major automobile manufacturers are continuously improving as per the demand from customers, and shifting customer preferences toward luxury vehicles in China is also fueling the demand in this market.
- According to the International Trade Association (ITA), a USA agency that promotes trade and investment, China continues to be the world’s largest vehicle market by both annual sales and manufacturing output, with domestic production expected to reach 35 million vehicles by 2025.
The global automotive glass market is significantly competitive with ~100 players which include globally diversified players, and country-niche players as well as a majority number of regional players having their niche in automotive glass manufacturing for OEMs and aftermarket sales.
Regional players constitute ~45% of competitors while large global players constitute ~20%. Some of the major players in the market include FUYAO Glass Industries Co., Ltd., Nippon Sheet Glass Co., Ltd, Saint-Gobain, Xinyi Glass Holdings Limited, AGC Inc., Central Glass Co., Ltd., Corning Incorporated, Guardian Industries Holdings, Sisecam, Webasto Group, and others.
Recent Developments Related to Major Players
- In October 2021, Guardian Glass invested in its Goole, East Yorkshire float glass production plant to increase the company’s ability to supply float glass, primarily to the UK and Ireland.
- In August 2021, Webasto announced the acquisition of Carlex Glass Luxembourg SA. Carlex deals in the manufacturing of glass elements for passenger cars and counts many international carmakers among its customers.
- In June 2021, Corning Inc and Jeep (automobile manufacturer), announced the launch of a windshield for the Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Gladiator with Corning Gorilla Glass.
The Global Automotive Glass Market witnessed significant growth during the period 2017-2021, owing to the growing automotive industry and shifting trend towards smart glass. The growth rate is also expected to remain significant during the forecast period. Though the market is significantly competitive with ~100 participants, the majority of global players dominate the market revenue share, and regional players hold a significant share.
Note: This is a Planned/On-Demand report, so the figures quoted here for a market size estimate, forecast, growth, segment share, and competitive landscape are based on initial findings and might vary slightly in the actual report. Also, any required customizations can be covered to the best feasible extent for pre-booking clients, and the report delivered within a maximum of two working weeks.
Ken Research has recently published report titled, Global Automotive Glass Market Size, Segments, Outlook, and Revenue Forecast 2022-2028. In addition, the report also covers market size and forecasts for the four regions in the Automotive Glass Market. The revenue used to size and forecast the market for each segment is US$ billion.
|By Glass Type||
|By Vehicle Type||